Shadow Of Victory

Tuesday 27 January 2009

Tuesday 27th January--Identification

Jacqui Webber -Gant said once that spoken words are like a mist that disappears but the written word lives on in peoples spirits and has a lasting legacy. I feel very strongly that written words can change peoples lives..change their thoughts..change their perceptions of the world around them and I also believe that through "Identification" can change their innermost feelings and emotions.

One of my favourite books discovered only recently is -Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist and if you havent yet got it...I can recommend it big time. In the chapter headed-Hide and Seek she writes this

"Writing for me feels like getting naked in public. Its feels like falling to the bottom of a deep well and finding lots of creep crawly things down there with you.It feels kooky and scary and out of control. It makes me upset sometimes, because it makes me honest. Writing is my best chance at happiness, its the riskiest thing I can do. But thats how life is; the riskiest things always yield the best- most beautiful things."

I can so identify with these words...the first time I read them I felt as if she had access to my soul. A woman I have never met seemed to know me ..to understand my feelings about writing..her phrase that "writing is my best chance at happiness" has taken root in my innermost being. I can almost sense the words digging down and taking root and waiting there for me to water them with my thoughts.... becoming words and perhaps becoming a legacy. I laugh at the words..."writing is a bit like getting naked in public"...let me assure you all there is no chance of that actually happening in the real sense...and I know you have all heaved a huge sigh of relief...but I am going to attempt in this blog to allow my spirit to get "naked". It may upset me sometimes as it will create honesty...my prayer is that it will also bring to you a sense of identification and perhaps you will be encouraged to "get naked " with me.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I completely agree Irene...Cold Tangerines is a gift from God!!

It has helped me on my journey to trying to understand a bit of what God is doing in my life and I particularly like the Basement and Swimming chapters...but it is one of those books that you will find a chapter that's meant for you.

I'm really enjoying sharing your journey Irene and pray it will continue to grow you closer to God