Shadow Of Victory

Monday 23 August 2010

How Do I love Thee....Let me count the ways....

I always wonder when the precise moment arrives when the contents of my mind overflows into a blog post.!!...I seem to go for a fairly longish time with nothing I feel is worth blogging about and then have several bursts in a row.I have been brewing this one for a few days now and even now I have a further one almost ready to pop...

But let me get this one out into cyberspace now ...its all about my hubby. No apologies for the length and contents ....

I have known CJ for approx 38 years...he was a DJ with Edinburgh's most famous mobile disco ...REVOLVA...and yes ..he was known as CJ the DJ.!! My friend Janie and I went to a nightclub called Aquarius and he worked there 5 nights a week....the gang who worked for Revolva all hung out together and we became the disco groupies...I actually went out with 3 of the 7 DJs before I settled on Chris....my diary entry for the days preceding our first kiss read like this..."I quite like Chris..he has a lovely bum"...

It was most unashamedly love at first sight/date...and he proposed to me on our first night out. We were inseparable from the beginning and I can quite honestly say that without him I don't think I would have survived. If you have read my earlier blogs you will know I had a very dysfunctional childhood and rest assured that by the time I was 18 I was pretty much on the road to dysfunctional adulthood too. In short...Chris rescued me...his love for me gave me hope for myself that all was not lost...the biggest and best thing about his love meant that I began to believe I was worth being loved and altho it has taken me many years to grow into a more secure foundation I believe that in the early years the unconditional love that Chris has for me laid the foundations for God to carry on his redemptive work in my heart and soul.
So...as the title of this post says...

How Do I Love Thee..let me count the ways...Chris is...

my friend ..
my lover...
my greatest supporter...
my encourager...
my challenger...
my refuge when life gets too overwhelming...
the one who holds my hand..
the one who hands me tissues when I snot and cry...
the one who rubs my feet when they ache....
the one who brings me cups of tea in bed most mornings...
the one who makes me laugh till I ache....
the one who takes my ideas and turns them into reality...
he makes me complete......
we are a good team..
he gives me freedom to be who I am...
he willingly shares in all that we do...
he is generous with his time....
he always thinks the best of me...
his love for me has never faltered...
he encourages me to dream my dreams....
he lays down his life for me ...
he puts me first....
his one liner jokes are a legend in the family...
he is diligent and faithful...
he tolerates my dog....and walks him daily..
he lets me have control of the remote...
he is a great dad....
he has worked hard all his life ...
he is a servant par excellence in the church community...
he is the calm to my stress...
he is the solid to my fluidity...
he can cook/shop/clean/wash/iron/DIY...(altho he still cant multi task)...
he will be a fantastic grand-dad....
he still has a lovely bum!!...
he is gentle with my fears...
he is confident with my dreams...
he is very competitive but thinks he isn't ...!
he walks slow cos my wee legs cant go fast...
he endures my endless waffling...
he is in love with me.....
and I could go on and on....

He is without doubt THE BEST...

Chris is the major source of joy in my heart...I have a phrase I think of when I think of Chris..."he makes my heart smile"...


Ephesians ch 5 verses 22 onwards calls husbands to "love your wives as Christ loves the church" and if there was a GCSE or A level in this particular scripture then Chris would have got an A*.!!

Please don't get me wrong ..he isn't perfect and we have had our share of arguments and some serious fall outs along the way but today I cant think of any other scenario than spending the rest of our life together . He is the only one I want to grow old with and I am asking God to bring truth to the phrase "the best is yet to come" .

We are in the very best years of our lives..our children are all grown up..and seem to be doing great in their own lives.....we are incredibly blessed that our family unit spends time together and there have been no serious rifts along the way...we have a great circle of friends and belong to a church community that we love and altho the future seems uncertain with regard to his work situation we are secure in the knowledge that whatever comes our way we will face it strong.!

I often read about couples celebrating 40/50/60 years of marriage and my prayer and hope is that we will be like that...what a great thing to be together for a lifetime and I cant imagine life without Chris..we may take each other for granted at times..we may lose sight of our together-ness every now and then..we may even have fall outs but I am convinced that we will uphold our marriage vows till "death us do part" and believe wholeheartedly in the phrase "and that which God has joined together let no man separate"

Chris and I have this wee one liner that we often say to each other that sums us up ..

We fit together so well"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... as a friend ..I love this blog..I Love the way the two of you honour and respect each other too.

As someone who approaches her 40th wedding anniversary .. all I can say is that I feel most of these things about Bernard too.

Hope that we are still around when it is you and Chris 40th.

God Bless you.

Iris xx

glynne said...

inspirational as always irene and I pray that will continue to honour you both xxx
Glynne

glynne said...

inspirational as always irene and I pray that God will continue to honour your and bless you
Glynne xxx