Shadow Of Victory

Monday 4 February 2013

Grannys Gap Year...(10)...Be Blessed

Our second assignment was a choice of a written one or we could speak it. I chose to write but several of the Academy chose to speak and at the beginning of our term we had the three brave students do their spoken "letter". The assignment was to write a letter to today's "global church " basing it loosely on Paul's Epistles. Speak words (or write words ) of exhortation and encouragement with a touch of Pauls direction. It was a fascinating topic and one I actually enjoyed doing..altho at present  I don't yet have it back so no idea if my marker will have enjoyed reading it.
The three students all presented completely different styles and different topics and were all sensational..I have so much respect for these "youngsters" and especially the ones for which English is not their first language.
To digress slightly and then bring myself back to the point of this blog entry...for many years Ben Davies  (who led Kerith before Simon Benham ) would often end his sermon by asking each section of the church to "look at me " he would say  "let me see the whites of your eyes"  or similar and then he would speak a blessing over us all. It would often be from scripture eg Numbers Ch 6 v22 which says

 The Lord bless you and keep you ;
 The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you ;
 The Lord turn his face towards you and give you peace

Every time Ben did this I would feel as if God himself was blessing me and looked forward to him doing this.

So...back to the Academy speaking assignments and  one of the overseas students Arvydas (RV)was speaking and every few sentences he would use the words

Be Blessed

I am not sure how many times he actually said this but it seemed as if when he did he caught my eye so it felt as if he was saying it directly to me!! I have no idea really what else he spoke about as I was so focus-ed on those two words .( so just as well I am not a marker)

Be Blessed

It so reminded me of the blessings Ben D used to speak over us and I truly believe there is some kind of spiritual impartation when people speak such words and since RV spoke several weeks ago I feel as if somehow I have been blessed way more than normal even altho life is busy...life is hectic,...life is pressured.
(we have somehow managed to move house in the last 3 weeks too) I am overwhelmed at times with so much to do and so little time...I have a 10/10 preach coming up and a spoken assignment still to write..there are numerous boxes still to unpack in the garage ...I have no idea where anything is in the new house...my "to do" list has a life of its own and multiplies overnight (!) and yet RVs words resound in my mind and spirit on a daily basis... Be Blessed..Be Blessed ..Be Blessed

In the midst of all that my daily life consists of ...I am recognising tmore and more that Gods blessings are tangible and real. I have a great family.. I have great friends..I have a great job ... I get to be a part of a great Academy gang and serve with an incredible team on Sundays watching and being a part of  "Inspiring a Generation for Christ" I have food to eat...clothes on my back...a lovely comfortable and warm home ..cars ...and so much more than I can ask or imagine.

Since RV spoke I have been keeping a "blessing" jar and each time I reflect on Gods goodness I write out what I am feeling and pop it in the jar...it is already filling up. It may just be a small thing ..perhaps my grandson laughing which always fills my heart with joy..or it may be an encouraging text..or some flowers or a meal with friends for my birthday...or a lovely cuppa in bed with Chris...or just 20 mins of peace and silence with my bible. All Blessings...we just need to look for them with fresh eyes .

I don't think for one moment that RV or indeed Ben had any idea of the impact their words have had but I know for me that it is so important to bless people with the words of our mouth and although I cant speak them to everyone who may read this I can write it in bold and capital letters in the hope that you will also feel as if God is imparting his blessing upon you .

BE BLESSED

ps.. I also have to say that RV has the most amazing ability to hug....if you have never been hugged by RV then seek him out and have one ..they are just the best hugs ever.!!

No comments: